Let me start off by saying that most of the time my toddler eats a version of what I’m feeding the rest of the family. With three kids I just don’t have the time to make an entirely different meal so I’ve learned to adapt my cooking to suit the whole family’s needs. This usually means taking out my toddler’s portion before I add in the final amount of salt, chopping pieces smaller if needed and serving a deconstructed meal where needed.
However, most breakfasts, lunches and some dinners I do need to have a special option for my little one. Here are my top go-to meals
Breakfast is a meal where it’s so easy to default to straight carbs and overlook the opportunity to add in protein and fruit.
- Oatmeal with applesauce
- Scrambled egg strips with cheese
- Cheerios with a smoothie
- Cottage cheese with stewed berries
- Cottage cheese pancakes
- Granola with yogurt and fruit
- Banana Toast with yogurt dip
- Banana muffins with butter
- Carrot cake muffins
Lunch is the meal we most often eat away from home, often as a picnic at the park.
- Egg and Avocado egg salad
- Tuna salad with avocado
- Hard-boiled eggs with fruit
- Peanut butter toast fingers with fruit and avocado wedges
- Hummus with naan or toast fingers and veggies
- Grated carrot salad with avocado toast fingers